Saturday, 18 April 2009

Tweet Tweet?



I have recently conformed to the new phenomenon that is 'Tweeting', but am failing to see its worth!

Surely, it is merely adding to our obsession with surveillance? Firstly - what is the point in constantly updating one's status? I understand that it is amusing to see what celebrities do in their normal everyday lives, of course - but only for the first couple of days, no actually only for the first couple of hours! By 'following' celebrities, are we not glorifying them to a ridiculous extent? They are all human - what does it matter what they're doing, who they're following etc?

Previous experience from Facebook status updates lead me to question how real people are. When you are aware that a certain person will be reading your thoughts, those thoughts are somehow influenced by their perspective. Our identities are based primarily on what people think of us, or rather what we want people to think of us. Therefore, it leads me to question if Twitter is in fact real? Similar to facebook and myspace, has it not created a bubble where we can mould a new identity? Appear to be more attractive or more intelligent purely by updating a status? Is it not ridiculous that we fool ourselves into thinking we are 'living', when we are actually sitting in front of a laptop or phone - NOT living!!

I will remain on Twitter for a little while longer, perhaps I am missing something significant? I hope to find out! Until then, I remain confused...

No comments: